If we're measuring in common bases like $|0\rangle$, $|1\rangle$ or $|+\rangle$, $|-\rangle$ we express this by saying we're measuring with $\sigma_z$ or $\sigma_x$, or measuring in the computational or sign bases. What's the conventional or most-concise way to say we're measuring in a non-standard basis, like the in CHSH experiment where Bob measures in the computational basis rotated $\pm\frac{\pi}{8}$ radians around the y-axis? Do we derive the observable from its eigenvectors and use that?


1 Answer 1


If you express it as an operator of the form $\vec{n}\cdot\vec{\sigma}$, it will certainly be understood. In this context, you're probably talking about $(Z+X)/\sqrt{2}$.

You could derive this from the eigenvectors, of you can derive it from the Bloch sphere picture, where a measurement corresponds to any point on the surface of the Bloch sphere (and that is specified by the vector $\vec{n}$). You just have to remember that there's a doubling of angles between the way we write them on states, and the angles on the Bloch sphere, so your $\pi/8$ angle becomes $\pi/4$.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ That particular axis is the rotation axis of the Hadamard gate, so you could call it the H basis. $\endgroup$ Nov 22, 2018 at 18:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.