Quantum Computing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for scientists, engineers, mathematicians, programmers and computing professionals interested in quantum computing and quantum information. Please look around to see if your question has been asked before. It’s also OK to ask and answer your own question.
The general rule is that you can ask all answerable questions about quantum computing or quantum information. But please read through these guidelines to ensure that your question can be answered:
You may ask questions about:
- theoretical and experimental aspects of quantum information science.
- mathematics relevant to quantum information science.
- engineering and architecture of practical quantum computers.
- simulation and programming of quantum computers.
- resource recommendations related to one or more of the above topics.
What topics can't I ask here?
Please don't ask questions about these topics. They have been deemed to be not a good fit for this site. These are questions:
- about general quantum mechanics, quantum field theories, quantum gravity or quantum foundations without any application or relevance to quantum computing or quantum information. You may get help at Physics Stack Exchange for pure physics questions. See this meta post for more context.
- based on personal, unpublished or non-mainstream theories, or theories published in disreputable or predatory journals. See this meta post for more context.
- about mathematics which do not require any prior knowledge of quantum computing or quantum information theory to be solved. You may get help at Mathematics Stack Exchange or MathOverflow for such questions. Make sure that your question is truly on-topic for the target site.
- about software development or classical computing which have no relation to quantum computing.
- asking for career advice.
What should I avoid asking?
There are some types of questions that seem to be on-topic but unfortunately cannot be answered on this site. This includes questions that:
- are overly broad and demand excessively long answers.
- cannot be answered objectively, i.e. are opinion-based.
- are unclear or do not contain enough information to be answerable.
Such questions will be put on hold until you fix them. Questions that are extremely off-topic, overly broad or of very low quality, may be removed at the discretion of the community and the site moderators.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Quantum Computing Stack Exchange, it may be on-topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are created.